Friday, December 19, 2008

Geneva Convention/Torture ... how do they relate?

Anyone who talks about the Geneva Conventions, as if there were some actual meaning in those goofy documents, ought to have his head examined. If we followed the Geneva Conventions, then we would have to get rid of our strategic nuclear arsenal, since it is specifically built to incinerate millions of men, women, children and pets - you know, civilians and everything else. But that’s war and that’s why war is something to avoid, if possible, and why weaker nations used to think twice before attacking nations that could crush them in a second. … Used to.

Of course, no one with a half a brain would get rid of our strategic nuclear arsenal, because they understand what the reality of the world is - unlike the Geneva Conventions, the 4th installment of which was written after the horribly draining emotional experiences of WWII, when we decided that nothing like that should ever happen again … kind of like when we called the First World War, “The War to End All Wars”, which it fell woefully short of being, to be overly generous.

Just as people wake up with huge hangovers and swear to never drink again, we always end wars by trying to tell ourselves that we will not be pushed to those same actions, brutal and ruthless as the actions of war must be, though it is never our choice. It takes two to tango, but only one to start a war. The Geneva Conventions are a utopian fantasy, just like the UN, and totally unworkable in the real world. We used to understand this, but since the fall of the USSR, Americans have gotten exponentially dumber about reality and what it requires. As things stand now, our enemies’ only defense is our own self-restraint. That’s really smart …

Anytime someone mentions the Geneva Conventions to me, I laugh in their face and ask them to tell me the last war that followed such rules. We all know the answer to that. Everybody does. One thing is for sure, any nation that would follow the Geneva Conventions is guaranteed to lose, or, at best, to have the war drag on for so long and be so costly as to leave itself with nothing but a pyrrhic victory, that will soon be eclipsed by the next leg of the same war … until we do finally lose. You know how Bernoulli trials go. And that’s just downright stupid and not the purpose of our government (or any government’s obligations to its own people).

9 comments:

Laura Lee - Grace Explosion said...

Wow. I never heard that point of view. Actually, you're right that I'm uneducated on the Geneva Convention. I thought in terms of how it detailed how we will all mutually treat prisoners of war - and established justice and prevented atrocity and torture on prisoners of war.

I bet I have been idealizing something - the Geneva Convention - whose terms I have not further fully studied. For me, it's "second hand knowledge" and for you - you've studied it directly.

Hats off.

Laura Lee - Grace Explosion said...

lol... Just noticed. I see you're now ephemera666... :) Is the 666 on the end there in recognition of oh-bama-666??

ha ha.... I think we've got his number.

Grace.

Benjamin9 said...

The 666 addendum to the name change to ephemera, yes. I find my blog in a state of change or flux. Recent events in my life seems to have caused this event, bringing the meaning of this blog to a finer point. Leaving the distantmirror21 title, which reflects distance and unfamiliarity and picking up the idea of the fleeting nature of life and man in general, with the ephemera666 label, seems more natural to me. I hope the unprofessional words which I plant here will capture the feeling I want to express.

Thank you for digesting the idea of the Geneva Convention and seeing that, yes, the silly rules for something as violent and destructive as war, can not be controlled so easily.

Unknown said...

Good to see you back!

I agree, the Geneva Convention's overall principles are somewhat of an oxymoronic oddity, with no one but the moral and honorable sides following them.

I almost got worried about your blog's name change, thinking you had fallen into some sort of Luciferian cult or something. :))

Are the "recent events" something you are willing to reveal and discuss?

Oh yeah, I like your new profile pic.

Sons of Liberty flag?

Benjamin9 said...

Hey Son3,

No, nothing Satanic here(I hope).lol.
I do not mind really talking about my life situation, it may be a bit much for a reply here. Let us just say my personal losses over the last year have been almost too much to bear and I have become disenchanted with things I thought were real, or at least I thought were still honored by those in high places. Any way, I know I am not the only one who has lost precious things. So please bear with me while I vent a bit.:)

That is the Sons of Liberty banner. This and the 13 starred banner of George Washington's camp during the 1st War of American Independence are my 2 fav banners.

Thank you for your concern. I appreciate it.

B9

drken said...

Interesting thoughts (as always). I'm glad to see that you're back posting.

Benjamin9 said...

Soldier On. Shalom! :)

Benjamin9 said...

Hey GE ...

I do not know if you are aware of this website, but it is interesting at least:

http://dixienet.org/rebellion/rebellion.html

drken said...

Shalom, right back at ya!